More difficult SAS Technical Interview Questions
1. What is the one statement to set the criteria of data that can be coded in any step?
2. What is the effect of the OPTIONS statement ERRORS=1?
3. What's the difference between VAR A1 - A4 and VAR A1 -- A4?
4. What do the SAS log messages "numeric values have been converted to character" mean? What are the implications?
5. Why is a STOP statement needed for the POINT= option on a SET statement?
6. How do you control the number of observations and/or variables read or written?
7. Approximately what date is represented by the SAS date value of 730?
8. Does SAS 'Translate' (compile) or does it 'Interpret'? Explain.
9. What does the RUN statement do?
10. Why is SAS considered self-documenting?
11. What are some good SAS programming practices for processing very large data sets?
12. What is the different between functions and PROCs that calculate thesame simple descriptive statistics?
13. If you were told to create many records from one record, show how you would do this using arrays and with PROC TRANSPOSE?
14. What is a method for assigning first.VAR and last.VAR to the BY groupvariable on unsorted data?
15. How do you debug and test your SAS programs?
16. What other SAS features do you use for error trapping and datavalidation?
17. How would you combine 3 or more tables with different structures?
18. What areas of SAS are you most interested in?
19. Describe 5 ways to do a "table lookup" in SAS.
20. What versions of SAS have you used (on which platforms)?
21. What are some good SAS programming practices for processing very large data sets?
22. What are some problems you might encounter in processing missing values? In Data steps? Arithmetic? Comparisons? Functions? Classifying data?
23. How would you create a data set with 1 observation and 30 variables from a data set with 30 observations and 1 variable?
24. What is the different between functions and PROCs that calculate the same simple descriptive statistics?
25. If you were told to create many records from one record, show how you would do this using array and with PROC TRANSPOSE?
26. Declare array for number of variables in the record and then used Do loop Proc Transpose with VAR statement
27. What are _numeric_ and _character_ and what do they do?
28. How would you create multiple observations from a single observation?
29. For what purpose would you use the RETAIN statement?
30. How could you generate test data with no input data?
31. What can you learn from the SAS log when debugging?
32. What is the purpose of _error_?
33. How does SAS handle missing values in: assignment statements, functions, a merge, an update, sort order, formats, PROCs?
34. How do you test for missing values?
35. How are numeric and character missing values represented internally?
36. Which date functions advances a date time or date/time value by a given interval?
37. In the flow of DATA step processing, what is the first action in a typical DATA Step?
38. What are SAS/ACCESS and SAS/CONNECT?
39. What is the one statement to set the criteria of data that can be coded in any step?
40. What is the purpose of using the N=PS option?
41. What are the scrubbing procedures in SAS?
42. What are the new features included in the new version of SAS?
43. What has been your most common programming mistake?
44. Name several ways to achieve efficiency in your program.
45. What is the significance of the 'OF' in X=SUM (OF a1-a4, a6, a9);
46. What do the PUT and INPUT functions do?
47. Which date function advances a date, time or datetime value by a given interval?
48. What do the MOD and INT function do? What do the PAD and DIM functions do?
49. In ARRAY processing, what does the DIM function do?
50. How would you determine the number of missing or nonmissing values in computations?
51. What is the difference between calculating the 'mean' using the mean function and PROC MEANS?
52. What are some differences between PROC SUMMARY and PROC MEANS?
53. What is a problem with merging two data sets that have variables with the same name but different data?
54. Which data set is the controlling data set in the MERGE statement?
55. How do the IN= variables improve the capability of a MERGE?
56. What techniques and/or PROCs do you use for tables?
57. Do you prefer PROC REPORT or PROC TABULATE? Why?
58. What is the difference between nodup and nodupkey options?
59. What is the difference between compiler and interpreter?
60. Code the table's statement for a single level frequency?
61. What is Enterprise Guide? What is the use of it?
62. How would you code a merge that will keep only the observations that have matches from both data sets?
63. What are input dataset and output dataset options?
64. How can u create zero observation dataset?
65. What is the use of Proc SQl?
66. What is SAS GRAPH?
SAS Interview Frequently Asked Macro Questions -7
Top 25 SAS Interview Questions