How to generate geographical output via
google fusion table,many eyes, d3.js
1. Google Fusion Table:
You may have used the convenient google maps a lot of times; have you ever considered that you can actually use that to display your geographical data?
Yes, Google Fusion table is a powerful data visualization web application to gather, visualize, and share larger data tables. The following example displays
the unemployment rate for California breakout by each county, you can actually click each county to see more details.
Here are steps to generate the above geographical map:
1) Go to the data loading page
, for example,
you can download this california unemployment rate for each county table
(in csv format)
or you can search any public table available from google tables
2) Follow the instructons to load your data, just click "Next" until "Finish".
3) If you click the "Map of county", then you might see some counties out of California. We need to join
the county boundaries data
the california boundary dataset
4) Back to the unemployment table, click "File"--> "Merge" (sign in first if it's not active): complete "Or paste a web address here:" by the above
, One table use column "County",
the other by "County name", click "Next" until "Finish".
5) Now you will generate a merged dataset. Notice this is a dynamic table, which means, if you choose one of them,
it will automatically update the merged table.
6) To customize the oupput, click "map of geometry"--> "fill color" -->"gradient"--> choose "unemployment_rate" to break out for the heat map.
7) To get the link of the map, click "map of geometry"--> "Publish", you will get the link to embed into any website. You may need to click "Share" to allow others to access your output.
Click the tutorial for more details about how to customize the display
Other two useful tools to generate geographical maps are Many eyes Powered by IBM
, which requires more java coding techniques.
Some other useful customized-mapping tools includes: google map engine lte
and draw a circle on google map
Continue to next:
How to use google map API from SAS?
SAS tutorial home
How to generate state/county output?
Statistics tutorial home